Sunday, July 19, 2009

Woof.

I work at Color Me Mine in Moorpark. I hosted a birthday party a few weeks ago, and part of the party package is the birthday child gets a plate made for them. As it was a dog theme, I went ahead and agreed to paint a dog on her plate- from a picture of her dog which they gave me to look at. First of all- I didn't mean to go "all out"- but I can't even help it! I didn't want to get so detailed for a free little plate, but I know no other way... (it's actually quite annoying, and I don't think I could ever fully explain how or why, to where anyone would either understand or pity me.) Anyways- you should know what the underglaze paints are a slightly different hue and dry a lot lighter than they will look after they are fired in the kiln. So here's what the dog looked like as the paint was drying...

And here's what it looks like after the finishing touches and when it's all baked and out of the kiln!
Now, some of you may be thinking "I like it better before it was fired." And I would basically agree. But, not to make excuses, it's hard to know exactly how it will come out in the end, depending on the amount of coats you use of a certain color, etc.
But I like both. I have to say though, that the non-fired one looks more realistic and jumps out at you more. Ah well! I still feel pretty proud of myself :)
So I'm thinking about getting myself into a little business of making these for people. If I did other animals or babies or flowers (you know- "that" kind of stuff), on plates or bowls or whatever... do you think people would buy it? I'd charge around $50 and on top of that they'd have to pay for the plate and paint through my work.
What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I think that's one awesome plate and I think that yours is a great idea to offer this type of service.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Will you make one for my Dog's birthdays?

    ReplyDelete